Sunday, June 29, 2014

Miss me...but let me go (In memory of James Lee Ousley, Jr. 9/17/1936-6/21/2014)

"Miss me...but let me go." These were the last words written at the end of my grandfather's obituary. As I journeyed back home this weekend for my grandfather's homegoing, I was so happy to reconnect and connect with family. The homegoing service for him was so beautiful. We began with a song and we ended with a song. As I viewed my grandfather, I saw a smile on his face. I nodded my head, thinking to myself, "Well done, faithful servant." My grandfather lived a full life, overcoming so much, mainly an incident where he was paralyzed on his right side after being shot by a disgruntled employee. According to my father, he should have died a long time ago, but God kept him. No matter what adversity he faced, he kept going no matter the circumstance.

The word spoken on yesterday, was entitled: "Focus, Faith, and Finish". The pastor spoke of having focus and utilizing faith to finish this race we call life. In order to see God's promise, we have to endure tests and trials to make it to the end. We cannot continue to look at obstacles and adversity with fear and complaints. We must endure every situation that comes our way so we can be seated at the right hand of Christ as we transition. During the reflections time, my cousin Tumetris shared her thoughts. My aunt Josephine's (Tumetris' mother) wish for her 80th birthday was to visit her brother. (Sidenote: my grandfather was the only boy among 6 girls.) My grandfather spent his last moments in Orlando so all of the sisters minus one, my dad, and aunt went to Florida to visit. Tumetris shared that it was a wonderful time because everyone was praying , sharing stories, and just having a good time. She shared that she was continuously praying the day before that the Lord would intervene throughout their visit. She reflected on how one day she asked my grandfather "what does he do when he's alone?" My grandfather responded, "I talk to the Lord." I was so glad to hear that in those moments when he was alone, he talked to the Lord. The funny thing about my grandfather is that when he talked, he talked so I'm pretty sure he and the Lord had a lot to say to each other, lol. Even though, he wasn't submitted to a church home, the important thing was that he had a relationship with Christ.  Whatever situations that took place in his life, he made peace with God and it was his time to go. Yes, it was a somber occasion; hearts were grieved, but my grandfather is in a much better place. The beauty of yesterday was sitting among his sisters and hearing their stories about their time with him and his life.  As I listened, I was able to see where my mannerisms and my personality come from. Whenever I'm with family, I always get a great laugh. Thank you God for answering my prayer: to be closer to my family and for all of us to come together more often. The following is the complete poem from my grandfather's obituary:

When I come to the end of the road and the sun has set on me,
I want no rites in a gloom filled room,
why cry for a soul set free.
Miss me a little--but not too long,
and not with your head bowed low,
Remember the love that we once shared,
miss me--but let me go.
For this is a journey that we all must take,
and each must go alone.
It's all a part of the Master's plan,
a step on the road to home.
When you are lonely and sick of heart,
go to the friends we know.
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds,
miss me--but let me go.

I pray that those who are reading this right now, take the time to spend as much time with family, enjoying each moment, no matter the situation.


God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment