Thursday, March 22, 2018

Mini Spring Break 2018: High Heels and High Standards Tampa fellowship





It is Thursday and I've finally sat down to write about my mini Spring break trip this past weekend. This post is actually my first blog for 2018 and my recent trip was the first trip to Florida in 6 years. Yes I said it......6 years. My last trip to Florida was in Orlando in 2012. I spent a whole week with a college friend and her family and I also visited with my uncle and grandfather (he passed in June of 2014). That trip back then was my first real vacation and so was this one. I didn't realize I worked so much, but this year I am intentionally getting back to taking care of myself and smelling the roses or should I say placing my feet in sand. I got a chance to visit a city I had only visited about 15 years ago when I was a senior in high school. It was our senior trip and outside of the usual theme parks in Orlando, we traveled to Tampa for Busch gardens. This time I got to see downtown Tampa and Spring Hill, city an hour away from Tampa. This trip was not only a mini vacation for me, it was a weekend of fellowship with some sisters from High Heels and High Standards, a women's ministry centered on encouraging women to grow in sound doctrine, discipleship, and exalting the Gospel of Jesus Christ, founded by my sis in Christ and fellow Albany State alum, Brittany Jay. Brittany Jay and I connected online in 2014 after I read her testimony of how Christ saved her in 2012. A year later we connected in person at one of her many bible studies. It was a breath of fresh air to hear the Gospel preached in its proper context and to be among women who were seeking truth and desiring to live for God. Later on I connected with Brittany's older sister, Curtisha who is just as on fire for God as Brittany.  Curtisha is an advocate for health and wellness, amazing mother and wife, and teacher of the Word. I was blessed to meet her and her husband Rob during their brief stay in Atlanta last year. This weekend they showed me hospitality as I came down for the High Heels and High Standards Tampa meet up hosted by Curtisha. Although I didn't have to come down due to the upcoming women's retreat in April, my spirit needed to get away for awhile even if it was for a day and half. So I pressed my way to Florida on Thursday night, arriving Friday morning. As I was greeted by Curtisha, we spent the day catching up and later on in the evening she invited me to Pine Island Park, a beautiful beach near her home. It was my first time going to a Florida beach. The only beach I ever visited was Hilton Head Island in 2010 and a smaller beach in Pine Lake, GA near an area I previously lived in. Pine Island Park is very secluded and tucked away from the typical tourism you would expect in other parts of Florida. The drive there was so beautiful, a pathway of greenery as you get closer to the beach. Upon my arrival, I was intrigued by the colorful sunset and musical sound of birds. I finally had a moment to put my feet in sand and water, while being present in the moment. I ended the evening with great conversation with the fam. Saturday was the day for the High Heels and High Standards fellowship. Before we left for the fellowship, Curtisha gave me a Christian fiction novel to read called "Redeeming Love" by Francis Rivers. She knows I'm a reader and have been introduced to Christian fiction through a novel I purchased many years ago and through a mutual friend of ours MiMi Atkins who wrote '3627' (check out my review here). I've started to read it and am looking forward to seeing the power of redemption throughout the story lines. As we made our way outside, Curtisha and I took some amazing photos courtesy of her husband Rob who is very talented at photography.

Very unexpected, but I loved the idea of an impromptu photo shoot during my visit. From there, Curtisha and I headed to Jackson's Bistro Bar and Sushi in downtown Tampa. It was also St. Patrick's Day so we saw many people visiting for the parade. The view from the restaurant was very nice and the weather was just perfect, not too hot with a cool breeze. My meal for the day was the shrimp and chicken linguine which was so delicious.


Outside of the meal and the scenery, I met one of our sisters, Bev who also lives in Tampa. We also had an encouraging Word from Curtisha through the scripture, 2 Tim. 2:20-21, "But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work." This was timely as I was thinking of my focus for this year and beyond through the scripture, 2 Timothy 2:15 which says, "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." In order for me to be used by God, I have to know God's Word, live God's Word and allow myself to be cleansed and purified by His Word and prayer. The scripture shared by Curtisha reminded me to strive to be like fine china, refined, sturdy, and durable and not a paper plate that is disposable, easily tattered, and worn down. Only God's Word can cleanse us and make us new with the desire to be used by Him in the earth. Lord help us not to be paper plates. As we ended our luncheon, we all took a few pictures outside and parted ways. I thoroughly enjoyed my time and will definitely be back to visit again. Next up, the Atlanta High Heels and High Standards retreat in April. A London retreat will be coming soon in June as well.





If you are a woman in need of prayer, encouragement, accountability, and desire sound doctrine, I encourage you to check out the following links for High Heels and High Standards:

Website: http://highheelsandhighstandards.com/
Brittany Jay's blog: http://brittmjay.blogspot.com/
Email: Highheelsstandards@gmail.com
Facebook Group: Facebook.com/Highheelsandhighstandards



In His presence,



Lequvia Ousley



No comments:

Post a Comment