Sunday, June 19, 2016

The Day I Forgave My Father

In honor of Father's Day this year, I wanted to share my testimony of how I forgave my father. On June 15, 2014, it was Father's Day and Heather Lindsey shared the following post:


After reading her post, it prompted me to write the following response and post on my page:

From 11-17 years old, these were the feelings I had towards my father, not completely understanding that my feelings towards him stemmed from spewed negativity and me not seeking God for healing and restoration. It wasn't until I was 17 and my father was in a near fatal car accident that God opened my eyes, showing me that I need a relationship with him regardless of his past mistakes and relationship with my mother. My father and I were 20 mins from each other in different cities but yet I couldn't reach out to him. Sad but true. It blew my mind that I kept seeing him from a far in public but couldn't hug or call him. At the age of 22, with the encouragement of a friend, I courageously went to my father's job and cried to him, asking for forgiveness for all the pain I held inside for the last 11 years towards him. It was the second hardest thing I had to face in my life. Because of the negativity I was fed and my own inferiority complex at the time, I didn't think he loved me or wanted anything to do with me. I was wrong. He embraced me and we've managed to have a relationship for the last 6 years. It hasn't been easy and there have been moments where I would still feel hurt but I thank God for softening my heart and allowing me to heal and still love him after all the pain. Thank you Heather Lindsey for posting this message. Reading this reminded me of the importance of forgiveness and how it can elevate you to have more meaningful relationships. Thank You Lord for second chances. ‪#‎Forgiveness‬ ‪#‎Healing‬ ‪#‎Restoration‬

Labor Day 2011
I share this short testimony as encouragement for those who don't have a solid relationship with their fathers. Forgiveness has been one of the biggest and hardest tests in my life, especially when dealing with family matters.  It definitely takes time to heal from past hurts and being courageous to make that first step; it's scary but so worth it. As a young woman, it was important for me to build a relationship with my father so God could show me what I needed in a father. So many of my relationships with men (seeking validation from them) were not great because of the absence of my father and the lack of positive views of men. I needed to forgive so that I could move on, trust, and form positive relationships with others again. My prayer is that those who are reading this understand the beauty of forgiveness and the release it has on one's heart to love and start over again. Remember forgiveness is for you, not the other person.

Home for  ASU Fall Graduation 2011

Me and Dad ASU Homecoming 2012
After Grandfather's funeral June 28, 2014





God bless,


~Lequvia Ousley~

1 comment:

  1. Your dad is handsome and you exemplify Christ when you show forgiveness. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete