Sunday, July 13, 2014

It's Not About Us.....It's About Jesus

As I arose today in preparation for church, I noticed some cuts on my face. My instant thought was, "Uh oh, what devil am I fighting now?" I haven't had cuts on my face since a few months ago. During that time I was in deep prayer and consecration for myself, family members, and a few friends. I can remember since I was a little girl, whenever I would wake up with cuts on my face, I would tell my mom and she would always say that the devil would be bothering me in my sleep.  I didn't understand that statement as a child but although I have had long nails since I was a kid,  I knew I wasn't purposely scratching myself in the face while sleeping. As I grew older, I began to see what she meant in that statement. The further I went in life, the more demons I would have to fight, not for myself but for others. As a friend once said, "With new levels, there are new devils."

So as I made my way to church this morning, I began to ponder on the thought that it's imperative that we know what our gifts are and who we are in Christ so that we are more effective to do what we are called to do. So many times, we look at the tangible things others have and we equate that with success and happiness. I personally believe that, "Success is the positive result of using one's God-given talents to serve others." That quote came to me when I was a teen while watching a program about celebrities and their monetary status. Everyone strives to be wealthy and prosperous but the question remains, what are you doing with that wealth? Are you giving to others?  Teaching others how to be financially-savvy? The first song I heard today during praise and worship was, "Not About Us". I love that song because it blatantly proclaims that this life we live is not about us, it's about living a life that gives glory to Jesus. We should be operating in selflessness with ourselves and our talents. We all have God-given talents that are needed in the Kingdom. The image God gave me this morning was that of a quilt. The body of Christ is a huge quilt of various colors and designs(people). As we add different threads and images(talents), we create patches that keep growing and growing(Kingdom building). The Word brought forth today came from 3 John 1: 8. It reads, "To the beloved Gaius, whom I love in truth: Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers. For I rejoiced greatly when brethren came and testified of the truth that is in you, just as you walk in the truth. I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. Beloved, you do faithfully whatever you do for the brethren and for strangers, who have borne witness of your love before the church. If you send them forward on their journey in a manner worthy of God, you will do well, because they went forth for His name's sake, taking nothing from the Gentiles. We therefore ought to receive such, that we may become fellow workers for the truth." The message was, "Your gift will make room for you." Simply put, God has given us all gifts and talents. We cannot afford to sit on them and let them waste away. There's room for us in the kingdom. We have to trust God and walk through the door. There has to be an agreement in the spirit that God placed us here for a divine purpose. As we step into our purpose and grow further, attacks will come. As I heard those words, my mind went back to those scratches I saw on my face this morning. I'm being attacked in my flesh because my breakthrough is on its way. This season has been an uncomfortable season in the flesh, constantly fighting and warring daily, but my spirit says yes to the assignment God has on my life. Looking at those scratches on my face is a reminder that the battle I'm fighting is not about me but about Jesus. I am called to serve with my talents and gifts while fighting for the next generation. For a dose of encouragement check out the links to Bishop Noel Jones, "Not About Us" and Shekinah Glory's, "YES" below:


Bishop Noel Jones "Not About Us" http://youtu.be/qn4y1jEM5Fg

Shekinah Glory "YES" http://youtu.be/obIT-By1VOU


God bless,


No comments:

Post a Comment